August 9, 2012

"Horne Creek Smokehouse"

Oil on linen on panel, 6 x 8 inches, $150

I can't believe how quickly this summer is flying by! I've been busy with some illustration projects and haven't had time to do much painting outside. But, I just met up with a group of plein air painters at the Horne Creek Living Historical Farm which is located near Pilot Mountain. The farm is a North Carolina State Historic site and serves as an outdoor museum dedicated to the state's rural and agricultural heritage, circa 1900-1910.

It was a hot day but I found a nice shady spot to paint from. The photo below shows my set up. That's my easel in the center, behind the woodpile. My subject is to the left and you can see part of a farmhouse to the right. That farmhouse was built in the 1870's and I considered choosing it as my subject, but felt that a large format painting would do it better justice. My painting buddies and I agreed that there was so much on that farm that would make a great painting! So I hope to go back again someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment