September 28, 2013

"Mud Pit Below"

Oil on linen on panel, 9 x 12 inches, $300


If you live in North Carolina, then you're familiar with Pilot Mountain, which is located near Andy Griffith's hometown of Mount Airy. In his TV show of the 1960s, the fictional town of "Mount Pilot" (obviously a composite of the two names) was mentioned in several episodes. Speaking of the Andy Griffith show, if you haven't seen my interview of actress Betty Lynn, who played Barney's girlfriend Thelma Lou on the show, check it out on YouTube.

I painted this view of Pilot Mountain from the Jomeokee Park campground. Each year they sponsor a Marine Mud Run and that's the finish line mud pit, below the mountain.

Here are a few photos of me and my plein air painting buddies at the campground. As you can see, I was protected from the sun under a picnic shelter. Inspirational views were everywhere! I'll have to visit again!


No comments:

Post a Comment