July 23, 2013

"Catawba at the Homestead"

Oil on canvas panel, 9 x 12 inches, $300

Last weekend I joined other Triad Outdoor Painters (TOP) members for some plein air painting at the historic Reynolds Homestead in Virginia. We were there to kick off a TOP exhibition which will be on display until August 23. I have six pieces in the exhibition. As a subject, that day, I chose this beautiful, old Southern Catawba tree. I just love the shape of it and the gnarled trunk!
 
Below are some photos taken that day. In the first one, I'm on the far left, beside a mailbox and hidden behind leaves of the tree I'm under. It was threatening rain the whole time we were there, so I wanted to be at least partially protected. It did finally rain towards the end, so the precaution paid off. In the other two photos you can see my view of the Homestead. TOP members were "staked out" throughout the site, though. About eight of us in all.




No comments:

Post a Comment